Sunday, July 12, 2015

Scott Connection to Famous Christmas Song

This story is about Lawrence Scott, the son of Eliza Buttery of Grand Bay and William Scott of Fortune Bay.
------------------------------------------------

This story will probably be lost on the younger generations, but the ol' timers will find it interesting. Thomas Scott's (Fortune Bay's) grandson Lawrence Scott (my grandfather) was somewhat of a "singing preacher." He loved to sing, and my Mom often accompanied him on the piano.

Today Mom showed me a box of old sheet music, along with a folder containing correspondence between Lawrence Scott and Hugh Martin, Jr, the man who wrote Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. Hugh thought the world of my grandfather, and they were very close.

Hugh Martin, Jr. was a composer who worked with Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Gene Kelly, Lena Horne, Debbie Reynolds, Michael Feinstein, Jerome Robbins, and many others! The last song Bing Crosby ever sang in public was written by Hugh.

Here is some of the correspondence my Mom kept.

Here is sheet music that reads "for Elder Scott from Hugh Martin."

"For my beloved Elder Scott who is Number One on my personal Hit Parade!"...


Excerpt from a postcard


Letter Excerpt


Letter Excerpt


"...because you are such a very special person to me."



1 comment:

  1. Great family connection and story - thanks.

    Bruce Amey

    ReplyDelete

My Amazon Picks