Sunday, October 12, 2014

Irish Buttery Family Branch

I try to keep up with my documentation and record my research on this blog so the info doesn't get lost down the road and others can benefit from it. This may sound morbid, but during my research, I have greatly benefited from online documentation by other relatives. After attempting to contact two individuals regarding their research, I found that they had passed. If it weren't for their research before they died, I wouldn't know nearly as much as I do now and I'm so grateful, but disappointed I can't thank them. So...in case I pass...here it all is! :-) RIP Jerry Lomond.

Eliza Buttery Adams

Eliza Adams McKnight
To recap, my line of Butteries--the focus of this blog--descend from Dr. Benjamin Buttery and Jane Griffiths of Monmouth, Wales. Benjamin begat William and William begat the branches I study. William's son Albert Edward ended up in Newfoundland (my branch.) His daughter Eliza ended up in Ireland. She is the first of at least 3 Eliza Butteries--one being my great grandmother.

Eliza Buttery was born about 1847. She married a Samuel Adams Dec 31, 1878 in Channel Islands, and they lived in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
Eliza and Samuel begat another Samuel (1881-1916). Samuel married Margaret Eccles (first wife) and was killed in WW1 on Oct 8. Jerry Lomond said this about him: “Samuel Adams ran away to Canada and signed up on November 19, 1914 to serve in the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force during World War 1. His name is on the Vimy Memorial, France. While in Canada, Samuel married Theodosia Johns and had a daughter.”

Samuel and Margaret begat Eliza Adams (1900-1974). She married Joseph McKnight and they lived in Northern Ireland. She died roughly a year before my g-grandmother Eliza Buttery Scott. Jerry Lomond has recorded Eliza and Joseph as having a son named Joseph McKnight (1926-1964.) I do not know anything past this.

Thank you, Joan H. of Ontario for sending me this photo.

Family Line

Benjamin Buttery
William Buttery
Eliza Buttery Adams
Samuel Adams
Eliza Adams McKnight

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Amazon Picks